Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Today's phrasal verb is Dig Into, which has four meanings:
1-To reach inside to get something

 She dug into her handbag and pulled out a bunch of keys.
He dug into his pocket and pulled out a handful of coins


2-To  use money that you had been saving

I’ve had to dig into my savings this month to pay for my car insurance.

3-To try to find information about something

After he announced his candidacy for congress, journalists began digging into his past

4-To press hard into something

The seat belt is digging into my shoulder
These new shoes are digging into my heels

Notes:
- Inseparable

Today's idiom is Straight Shooter, which means: 
One who is honest, forthright and voices very accurate opinions

The owner of this cafe is a straight shooter who says what he thinks.
I always read E.J. Dionne's column in the Washington Post.  He's a straight shooter.  



No comments: