Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Shot.

I will give you a piece of common slang today; Shot, which means:
1-When something is old or breaks and no longer functions correctly.

I have to throw this old, dry paint away that's been sitting in the basement for years.  It's shot. 
These pants are shot.  I can't wear them to work anymore.
The motherboard on my laptop computer is completely shot and beyond repair. 

2-When someone is very tired  or "messed up" and can no longer funtion normally.
Jack: You look thoroughly shot.  Jill: Yes, I'm utterly exhausted!
Things are really going bad at work. The boss despises me.  My career is shot! 



3-A small amount of an alcoholic beverege typically above 80 proof. Served in a small glass known as a tumbler or shot glass. Variety of mixed shots; whisky is the most common straight shot in America.

Jack: I just lost my job.  Give me a shot.   Bartender: A shot of what?  Jack: Anything.  

No comments: