Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Today's Study Material

Phrasal Verb: Mix up (transitive)

1. Mistake somebody or something for another: to confuse things or people and mistakenly identify one as the other. "People always mix her up with her sister". "I sometimes mix the verb tenses up." "I get mixed up between the meaning of affect and effect"
2. Change the order of things: to change the usual or previous order of things, either deliberately or by accident. "The pages got mixed up on the way to the printer's".
3. To involve somebody or yourself in something: to involve somebody or yourself with a group of people or in an activity, especially one that is disapproved of ( usually passive ). "She got herself mixed up with a bad crowd". "Sorry I'm late. I got mixed up in the traffic".
4. To make something from ingredients: to prepare or make something by mixing different ingredients. "We need to mix up these different kinds of nuts before we put them in a bowl."
5. To make lively or colorful: "Let's mix this party up with a little Polka music". "You need to mix up your wardrobe. You wear that same old gray suit too often".

Idiom: Cross Your Fingers

(I often use this idiom. I think it goes to childhood when I would tell lies to my friends with my fingers crossed behind my back. But now I only mean it to hope that something turns out positive).

Meaning: To hope that something happens the way you want it to or you can cross your fingers when saying something so that it "doesn't count." It refers to actually crossing your fingers, the middle finger over the index finger. Crossing your fingers can have several meanings depending on context, most dealing with superstitions or children's games. You can cross your fingers to bring good luck. "Keep your fingers crossed that we arrrive on time to your brother's graduation ceremony". You can cross your fingers when saying something so that it "doesn't count." "I said it, but I had my fingers crossed behind my back so it doesn't count." (Only childern do this). Some tag-type games you can cross your fingers to be "safe" aka King's Cross.

Origin: The saying derives from the superstition that bad luck may be averted by making the sign of the cross. Originated in the 1920s.

Song of the Day: Bennie and the Jets, Elton John. 1973

This is one of those tunes I loved as a kid. Even my mom liked this tune. However, the lyrics tells the story of "Bennie and the Jets", a fictional band of whom Elton John is a supposed fan. The song's lyrics are a satire on the music industry of the 1970s in which the greed and glitz of the early '70s music scene is portrayed.

Video link
Lyrics

No comments: