Saturday, November 22, 2008

Material of the Day

Phrasal Verb: Do away with

Today's phrasal is a fairly simple one, but in order to use it you need to place the conjunction, "with", in the sentence. Both usages of the verb are transitive.

1. Abolish something: to abolish something so that it no longer happens or exists. "Some Americans want to do away with the death penalty".
2.To kill somebody or something ( informal ). "Vito "the knife" Corleone said, 'we have to do Irish. They're upsetting 'our thing'". "I did away with that mosquito. It won't be bothering us Idiom: The Last Straw

Meaning
When one small burden after another creates an unbearable situation, the last straw is the last small, additional burden that someone or something can take.


Origin
The full version of this metaphorical phrase is 'the last straw which breaks the camel's back', which has an Old Testament sound about it. Some authorities suggest that the phrase is a variant on an olde proverb: 'it is the last feather that breaks the horse's back'.

Examples
"My boss has, for the last time, insulted me one too many times. That was the last straw. I am finally going to quit". "I think that driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles and back over the weekend was the last straw for my car. It won't start today"

Song of the Day: Radar Love, Golden Earring.

This song suddenly started playing in my head this evening. I think that it is because I saw a commercial here in Taiwan that totally stole the bass riff of the song and reworked the song's general idea, kind of turning it inside out. All the same, this is one of the coolest "driving tunes" of all time.

Video Link
Lyrics

No comments: