Saturday, June 4, 2011

To Be In (The) Good Graces Of

This game winning shot put him back in the good graces of the fans, making up for his previous bad performance the night before
Today's idiom is To Be In The Good Graces Of.  It means,
To be in favor with.
 
I'm finally in the good graces of my girlfriend again.  She accepted my gift and apology.
I'm back in the good graces of my boss.  I  have been working as hard as I can for weeks to  make him forget my last mistake.
Sharon is in the good graces of her landlord. Because she a perfect tenant, he just installed a new refrigerator in her  apartment. 
I like to get in the good graces of my professors.  I find that it really helps my final semester grade. 

The origin of this idiom is difficult to say.  It has to do at least  a couple of the meanings of the word "grace" : generosity of spirit: a capacity to tolerate, accommodate, or forgive people and the  gift of God to humankind: in Christianity, the infinite love, mercy, favor, and goodwill shown to humankind by God
 
Synonym:  To be in good standing with 
Antonym: In the bad graces of, out of good grace with

No comments: