Saturday, June 11, 2011

Chalk Up and Chalk Up To

The world's oldest equine twins, Bill and Ben, have chalked up another milestone; reaching 25 at their seaside retreat in Wales, where they continue to keep staff on their toes.
I have two related phrasal verbs Today.  The first is Chalk Up, which means:
To score or achieve something, or record a score or victory

The company has chalked up its highest ever profits.
I chalked up another five kilometers of jogging today.  That makes 20 that I completed this week.
I make it a point to chalk up all of my daily expenditures every day so I know how much money I am spending. 

Notes: Separable [optional] transitive verb
score, mark up, rack up, gain, win, obtain, get, collect, accumulate
 
You can chalk up this wonderful piece of art to some very wonderful children
The second phrasal verb is Chalk Up To.
It means: To explain the reason for a situation, often a problem

They chalked the poor sales up to the lower numbers of tourists visiting this year.
You will just have to chalk up losing your girlfriend because of your bad temper to experience. 

Notes: - Separable [obligatory]





No comments: